Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Do they still count as New Year's resolutions?

So, though my wife won't tell me, I've become a bit of a fitness freak. I know she thinks I passed the line of a healthy appetite for exercise and into obsessive compulsive. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's not too far off. I guess it's just a perfect storm of coming out of a tunnel of stress and difficulties at work, settling into fatherhood/parenting as well as having another child (our family, not me).

It all started with our New Year's resolutions for 2009. 2008 started as an awesome year, my eldest P was born, but things started heading south in the summer. I work in the utility industry selling electricity and the market went to heck in a hand basket forcing prices up. To make a long story short, it was probably the worst 6 months of my life which was capped by Hurricane Ike coming in as well. Actually, the Hurricane was pretty much the beginning of smooth sailing once we got our power back and the office restored.

The toll on my physical sense of self and health was pretty bad. I weighed about 235 pounds and wasn't doing anything to stop the weight gain. I ate horribly, drank a lot and didn't exercise at all. Well, toward the end of 2008, it was evident something had to give. Work finally let up a bit (perhaps a story for another day) and as the holidays wound down, K made us resolve to start the New Year right and start exercising.

Starting from 45 minute 3 mile runs and progressing to cracking 20 miles a week, we slowly made progress. (More on the fitness turnaround next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment